Have you completed training in Suicide awareness, intervention, and prevention?
If you haven’t, it’s time to get trained now.
Build Your Awareness
Awareness is a key factor to successful work with clients who are struggling. Here are a few quick facts:
According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC.gov) in the United States:
- Over 45,000 people died by suicide in 2020 after a decline in numbers from
- Suicide was the second leading cause of death for individuals ages 10-14 and 3rd leading cause of death in ages 15-24.
- On average, one person dies by suicide every 11.5 minutes and one attempt is made every 27.5 seconds.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) also adds:
- In 2020, 40.3 million people in the U.S. over the age of 12 had a substance use disorder in the past year, dramatically impacting suicide rates today.
- Multiple issues continue to add to stressors to mental health concerns including the pandemic, young peoples’ social media-influenced feelings of inadequacy, and more.
- Evidence shows 90% of those who complete suicide experience symptoms of a mental health concern and 46% of the people who die by suicide have been previously diagnosed with a mental health condition.
Paths to Intervention
Beyond awareness of the statistics, make intervention numbers and websites easily accessible to your clients.
- 988 is the new suicide and crisis lifeline for 24/7 response.
- Individuals can call or text to this number for help.
- Chat at 988lifeline.org
Prevention Training — Start now!
Start your training now and learn how you can prevent suicide
an OnDemand Course with Deborah Silveria, Ph.D.
Deborah Silveria, Ph. D. presents SUICIDE: Assessment, Intervention, and Prevention—Skills and Resources to Stop the Pain, an informative and practical course covering the demographics of suicide, including behaviors, tools for suicide risk assessment, and theories and standards for treatment. Learn coping strategies to reduce the emotional impact of working with suicidal clients to prevent vicarious trauma PLUS strategies to minimize the risk of lawsuits and provide for safety planning. Dr. Silveria discusses suicidal behaviors from a multi-cultural lens to provide culturally sensitive interventions to suicidal patients. She also addresses telehealth strategies when working with suicidal clients.
As a result of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Recall at least one part of the demographics of suicide.
- Identify warning signs for suicide and tools for suicide risk assessment.
- Identify at least two major theories of suicide and identify treatments for suicide that the meet the standard of care.
- Explain suicidal behaviors from a multi-cultural lens to provide culturally sensitive interventions to suicidal patients.
- Compare at least two coping strategies to reduce the emotional impact of working with suicidal clients to prevent vicarious trauma.
- Identify at least two strategies to minimize risk of lawsuits/safety planning.
- Recall at least one resource for practitioners and suicidal clients.
- Identify at least one effective telehealth strategy when working with suicidal clients.
Deborah Silveria, Ph.D.
Take this course from one of most experienced clinicians in the field today, Deborah Silveria, Ph.D. Dr. Silveria is a licensed psychologist and LMFT. She works at the Amen Clinics in Costa Mesa, California where she specializes in complex trauma. She has been practicing EMDR since 1996 and has traveled to areas providing EMDR after disasters (Haiti, San Bernardino terrorist attacks). Dr. Silveria is a Trainer for EMDR Trauma Recovery Network and a facilitator for the EMDR Institute. She is also an Approved Instructor in Critical Incident Stress Management for the International Critical Incident Stress Foundation. She is the EMDR consultant and program coordinator for a week-long retreat for first responders with PTSD. Learn from the experience and wisdom of Dr. Silveria in this course.
It’s easy to get started.
- Go to: https://emdr-professional-training.thinkific.com/courses/suicide
- Regular Enrollment fee: $199
- Offers 6 professional CE Credits.
- Enrollment includes 90-day access to all course materials and videos
- Beginning level – appropriate for all levels of participants
- This course fulfills the BBS requirement for licensure and provides continuing education credits through CE-Classes.com